Monday, April 14, 2008

A Northern Light - Jennifer Donnelly


Just finished this book yesterday. I really did enjoy it and would recommend it. It takes place in 1906 (i love books that take place in that time era) and is based on the true story of Grace Brown. She was the 19 yr old girl who was found at the bottom of a lake in the Adirondak mountains. It was later discovered that she was pregnant and had been murdered by the father of her baby (Chester Gillette). It was considered the biggest murder trial in New York history at the time.
Although the book wasn't centered around that story only, it still made me feel deeply for Grace and marvel at how times have changed when it comes to getting in 'that kind of situation'.
The book actually focuses on Matty Gokey and her coming of age tale and how the deceased Grace influenced her decisions.
A good read!

3 comments:

Nikki, Cody, and Tessa said...

Welcome to blogdom! Boo yah!!! I could not be happier that you've come on down to my world!!!

About Us said...

thanks nik! i owe it all to you and am having a blast with it! i am nerd..a nerd with a blog! doesn't get better than that!

Anonymous said...

Rach...this is Noelle. I am going to start reading your blog cause I need to start reading. Both for sanity and to get to sleep. So keep it updated. I actually am not a fan of reading but need to. What do you suggest? Where do I start? Xoxo